OT: generator for ice storm

Duane Attaway dattawaykclug at dattaway.org
Tue Jan 4 20:07:11 CST 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Brad wrote:

> Thanks Duane.  I am running about 10-12 feet of 10 gauge water resistant
> wire in a window and into the ac breaker.  I will have the black wire
> connected to one breaker, the red wire into the other breaker, and both
> the green and white connected to the grounding block in the box.
>
> When I throw the main, am I totally off the grid?  Is there any chance
> that poor wiring in the house could make this unsafe?  I have a new 120
> amp service that was inspected by the city, but I cannot swear all the
> wiring in the house is the greatest...it's an older home.
>
> BTW, I am the one on the list that gave you those UPS's...sounds like
> they are getting good use.

When you turn off the main, your circuit to the grid is off.  The National
Electrical Code specifies a transfer switch and something else if I
remember right.  Yours and mine may work well in an emergency.  Hopefully
one day I will get the money for a proper transfer switch and other things
to meet the Code.  Its a well written guide that almost eliminates any
possibility of accidents.

Oh thank you!  I recognized your name after I sent the email!  This UPS
has been very nice during power outages.  One of these days, I'm going to
add solar power to this project.  If you ever need any help throwing large
stuff in the dumpster again, please let me know.  ;)

-=Duane
http://dattaway.org