OT: generator for ice storm

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Jan 4 19:24:51 CST 2005

I'd have to say hooking up a generator to your house circuit is
a pretty dangerous thing. I'm not electrical expert, but I used to
build mainframes and the power systems that went with them. While it
is possible to do what you are doing, it can easily burn up your house
and fry the electrical worker if you do anything incorrectly. As Duane
said you need to make sure your wire is thick enough. Where he gets the crazy
Idea to drive your house off of 10 gauge wire is beyond me. While it may
be possible, it's (IMO) extremely bad to do. I wouldn't use anything less than 0
cable. Of course it also depends on the length of run from your generator to the
circuit. Anything over 3 feet you'll want to use a heavier gauge than 10 or
risk burning up your house (depending on what kind of current you draw of course.
If you have a 100AMP service and are powering everything from the big screen TV
to the dishwasher,hairdryer,vacumm, power saw, oven, microwave, washer, dryer,
furnace, water heater, 3 bedrooms, two baths, etc. - then things might get pretty
hot. Some generators are designed to do exactly what you are wanting to do.
I'd keep usage to a minimum and unplug any device that is always on (TV, VCR,
many digital electronics), and be discriminate in the use of power. You'll definitely
want do as Duane suggests and check the Hz and voltage coming out. Anything in the
range 50-60 Hz is fine and from 110-120V/220-240 (even 100/200 wouldn't be too bad).
Be extremely careful and make sure your set up is well grounded and check, double-check
and triple-check that the main is open. Bottom line is there are so many variables that
if your aren't at least proficient with electricity you should never attempt it. It
sounds as if you have some level of competency, but then that can be dangerous in it's own
right.

Brian