[OT] Laptop Harddrives

crash3m crash3m at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 16:44:05 CST 2005

I believe there are 3 sizes of laptop hard drives, the main difference
is their thickness, and the amount of power they draw.  Search
pricewatch.com.  I saw a 80G 4200RPM, toshiba drive, 2.5"x9.5mm, for
$112, from memorylabs.com...under details "for ..... hewlett packard"

Matt

On 12/30/05, Josh Charles <josh.charles at gmail.com> wrote:
> My laptop harddrive went out on me today, and unfortunately my laptop
> is no longer under warranty, so I'm faced with the double task of A)
> Seeing if I can get the little bit of data that was not yet backed up
> off of it, and B) replacing it.  I went to the manufacturer website to
> see about getting a replacement from them, but it was going to cost
> $400!  My question is this:  are laptop harddrives pretty much like
> tower harddrives in that they are standard sizes and I don't
> neccesarilly need a drive from the manufacturer?  I looked through
> google, and I saw hints towards this, but I just want to be sure.  The
> specs from the manufacturer are as follow:
>
> 40.0GB ATA-100 EIDE hard disk drive - 4,200 RPM, 2.5-inch form factor,
> 9.5mm height
>
> The thing that bothers me is the "form factor."  It's an HP laptop,
> but the drive from the factory is Toshiba.  Any help will be greatly
> appreciatted!
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Got gmail? I do hahaha