howto build a 1u linux box w/ hotswap SATA - info and info request...

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Sat Dec 17 15:36:04 CST 2005

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:12:56 -0600
hanasaki <hanasaki at hanaden.com> wrote:

> also...
> 	All linux raid or mobo hw raid?  get a separate card?
> 		what is the decision criteria?
>
> 	With what types of Raid (kernel, mobo, card)
> 	is it possible boot off the raid vs need a boot drive
>
> FYI: I need to get the hardware purchased very soon.

  I would get it from Monarch Computers....

  If you're just doing mirroring RAID than software raid is just as
  good as hardware/mobo RAID with the exception that with hardware
  RAID you get a battery backed cache. But that is only really useful
  if you aren't on a UPS/generator... but since you a colo'ing this
  that isn't an issue.

  If you're going to do RAID5 however it is best to do it with mobo
  or hardware RAID to off load the necessary calculations onto there
  instead of having it in the CPU. I recommend the 3Ware SATA raid
  cards, they have excellent Linux support.

  You can boot of a RAID drive.

  Hope this helps...