recycling a ATX mobo into a server...

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 12:32:44 CST 2005

--- "Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO" wrote:

> That said, hear this.  I would not necessarily run
> most business
> critical functions off something like this.  For
> personal use it's cool,
> but you don't want to have heat-related lockups in a
> business because
> you went cheap.  There is such a thing as
> server-class motherboards.
> They are built a bit tougher and with better
> components, but they cost
> about 2-3x your average motherboard.

Well, you do have a point about server-class MBs, but
that is not necessarily what you will get by buying a
commercial 1U system. Whether or not a MB will be
robust enough for business depends on the quality of
the MB. That is not the only consideration though.
You can easily build a solid 1U server from components
cheaper than buying one. The things to consider in
building a rock solid server is the quality of the
fans, this is an often overlooked critical step. The
server also has to have sufficient design to allow
proper cooling of the system. One will want to buy
high-end storage devices, top quality fans, efficient
heat-sinks, a well layed out MB, and a case that can
handle all of the above. Then lastly the placement of
the server may also be important. Having a well
ventilated properly cooled server is useless if the
server is situated over the pizza oven of Joe's Pizza
and ISP.

I would probably prefer to go to a 2U system.

Brianjd