Howto install kernel or using *.patch?

Don Erickson derick at zeni.net
Sun Aug 21 09:56:46 CDT 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, cluzterix cluzterix wrote:

> Hi Brian,
> I have knoppix 3.9 (kernel 2.6.11). I want to change
> it to the newer one (2.6.12-5). I have download kernel
> 2.6.12.5 file. Do I have to remove older kernel first
> and then do install as you tell me above?

Don't remove the older kernel, you can choose which kernel to load at boot
time.

The 2.6 kernel drill is a bit simplified from the 2.4

make (config||menuconfig||xconfig||oldconfig)
make install
make modules_install

If you're using lilo, the above should be sufficient.  If grub, then the
command "update-grub" at this point should make your new kernel the
default.

the README file in the kernel source tree is your friend.

Regards,

-Don