Text Editors

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 01:12:15 CDT 2005

--- Jason Munro wrote:

> Damn. I can't resist :)
>
> Even though I am a die hard VIM user and have been
> using it for coding for
> a long time I will not argue that it's intuitive by
> any means :) However I
> would argue that with some investment you can easily
> achieve all of what
> you are looking for and much more with a speed you
> cannot match with a
> graphical editor.
I can't resist either. You know I hear this all the
time on the list. I'd have to see two users with equal
experience in a vim and <insert gui editor here>. I've
tried learning vim. I can manage to use it, but unless
it were something I needed to learn and use 4-8 hours
a day I don't see how I'd ever become proficient at
it. I also don't see how any CLI text editor could be
faster to use than an intuitive graphical borwser.
Unless you are talking about the speed of the software
as opposed to the amount of time a user spends
writing. Vim may be a great editor but it has a huge
learning curve. Text editors shouldn't have learning
curves, that eats into productivity. Take a paper and
pencil for example, even my toddler girl can use them
to write with (nothing intelligible, but that's OT).

Brian JD
</throws wood on the fire>
:')