Text Editors

Bothari bothari at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 09:44:50 CDT 2005

I, for one, am firmly in the VI camp.  I completely empathize with the
lack of intuitivity, but after 10 years it does grow on ya.

I use vim from vim.org, and the 6.3 version has a built in :Sex
command, which (against MY intuition) splits the window and opens the
vim file explorer in one of the windows.  From the docs :

By pressing 'i', you can toggle between the name only display and the
more lengthy display.

When I'm running an explorer window I can tap "i" to see the details,
and tap it twice to get an update for file size or time stamp.  You
can turn the details on by default with   let g:explDetailedList=1 in
your vimrc file

The file explorer will let you sort, naviage directories, or execute commands.

Good Luck,
Joe

On 8/18/05, Josh Charles <josh.charles at gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize I could be initiating a religious war here, but I'm at my
> wits end.  I've been working in Ruby lately, which has been going
> really well, but I'm having trouble finding an editor that fits me
> needs (or wants, I guess).
>
> Here's what I'm looking for:
>
> Syntax Highlighting
> Line Numbers
> File Browser that automatically updates with file system changes while
> the program is running
> Some Code Completion (not neccessary, but nice)
>
> It seems like these are easy requests, but it's the file browser that
> keeps killing off editors.  I've tried both the EMACS and VI Rudy
> plugins and found both to be lacking.  Not to mention the extremely
> unintuitive nature of both editors (to my mind at least).
>
> For Code completion, I'm just looking for simplicity, really.  For
> example, when I time a ' " ' just add the closing one.  Automatic tabs
> is another completion feature that is really handy.
>
> I've found TextMate, which only runs on Mac OS X.  It fits my needs
> perfectly, but the mac I have access to is extremely slow, and I'm
> probably not going to have access to it for very long.
>
> Does anyone know of any editor that can meet my needs?  It doesn't
> matter what platform of the three (Linux, Mac OS X, or Windows).  I've
> tried to many and google has long ago quit spitting out good results.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Josh

"For a new software system, the requirements will not be completely
known until after the users have used it."  Humphrey's Requirements
Uncertainty Principle.