Fwd: ITEC Oct 26-27 Overland Park Convention Center

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 00:27:08 CDT 2005

--- Jon Pruente <jdpruente at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/17/05, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO
> <brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:
> > Knoppix 4.0 is due to be released.  I checked
> > yesterday and it was not on the mirrors in the
> > US yet.  We could also do some damnsmalllinux
> > and Mepis disks.  I have at least 2 PCs that
> > can burn at home.  Tell me your pleasure.
>
> How does anyone feel about some of the
> up-and-comers, like BeatrIX (www.watsky.net), or
> Puppy (www.puppylinux.org)?  Ubuntu Lite is a
> project I've been watching (and posting to the
> Google Group some) and they seem to be starting
> something nice for low-end machines, but they
> certainly aren't at a point of handing it out
> randomly yet.

I had an idea about using eMovix to really show off
the capabilities of Linux.  Bascially, we hand out
eMovix LiveCDs which have some public domain or home
creation video on it, showing off that Linux really
has a wide variety of uses.

For those who don't know, eMovix is a LiveCD which
crams itself into a small chunk of the LiveCD, letting
you put a video or videos on the CD, which are then
played by the LiveCD eMovix video software.

I was thinking it would be a decent way to showcase
Linux capabilities and at the same time show off, say,
a videotaped KCLUG meeting or even some form of video
helpdesk.  An example might be a video presentation of
how easy it is to use a KNOPPIX LiveCD.

Or we could hand out public-domain copies of "Night Of
The Living Dead" (from http://www.archive.org/).  I
mention this movie merely because it is public domain
and also well-known.