Fwd: ITEC Oct 26-27 Overland Park Convention Center

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:51:44 CDT 2005

On 8/17/05, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO <brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:
> Knoppix 4.0 is due to be released.  I checked yesterday and it was not
> on the mirrors in the US yet.  We could also do some damnsmalllinux and
> Mepis disks.  I have at least 2 PCs that can burn at home.  Tell me your
> pleasure.
>
> Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
> ---Occam

How does anyone feel about some of the up-and-comers, like BeatrIX
(www.watsky.net), or Puppy (www.puppylinux.org)?  Ubuntu Lite is a
project I've been watching (and posting to the Google Group some) and
they seem to be starting something nice for low-end machines, but they
certainly aren't at a point of handing it out randomly yet.

Bea and Puppy do nice LiveCDs, and have support for HD installs.  Bea
is known to support WINE/Crossover Office for that Winders
hankering...  And both are designed for mini or credit card CDs.  I
think the "cute" factor can entice some people as freebies to try out.
 Bea has Beatrix the cat as the mascot, and Puppy has Puppy the
chihuahua as the mascot.