Open Source 3D Games

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 12:04:17 CDT 2005

Do the open sourced drivers perform well under intensive games? It
seems a bit useless to have open drivers that perform only marginally
better than CPU processing of GL commands. Don't get me wrong, I don't
mean to dispairage ATi, it's open source efforts, or it's users, I'm
just heavily skeptical of a third party competing with a manufacturer.
There's also the truth of depreciation: the r200 is getting pretty
old, and the r300 will probably begin to lose support from the most
aggressive games starting next year or two (Battlefield 2 cuts off
anything below a GF 5700 and Radeon 8500).

In particular, I was speaking to ATi's closed source drivers, which
service Radeon 8500 and above. I've seen plenty of ATi horror stories
on slashdot and linux gaming sites, probably slightly more than I've
seen nVidia.  Given the fast pace of 3d graphics cards, I'm not sure a
volunteer open source effort can accomplish anything significant. One
thing that appears obvious is that OSS consistantly trails behind
industry leaders of various software components, with a few possible
core exceptions like Firefox and... well mostly just Mozilla. The fact
that it's much harder to innovate than it is to imitate appears to
enable the Open Source community to play catch up with a moving target
with only a few dozen contributers, and only when the list grows into
the hundreds can a project really move past incumbants.  Perhaps Open
Source is a living counterexample to the Mythical Man Month argument?

Justin Dugger