still no ssh access

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Sep 30 13:33:14 CDT 2004

Why should it matter?  It is not 3 services, but one, with one ultimate destination and I am the only user.  There are no connections on 22, 80, 21 or 8000 until I attempt them.  I only attempt to connect to one at a time.   What's the difference from this and having a firewall forward both 80 and 8080 to the same webserver, which I understand is standard practice?

Brian Kelsay

>>> crash 3m <crash3m at gmail.com> 09/30/04 01:22PM >>>
Your forwarding 3 ports, to 1 port?  I dont believe thats a workable
solution, if you forward port 80 on the external machine, to 22 on the
internal machine, and set putty to connect to port 80 for an ssh/scp
connection you can transfer your files.  But AFAIK (and IANA tcpi/ip
expert) you cannot have the 3 services listening on the same port on
the same protocol (e.g. you could have one on udp and one on tcp)
Surely there will be some others that will chime in with a more
accurate answer.

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:04:01 -0500, Brian Kelsay
<brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:
> Now that I have sshd running on the new server and I can connect to it from another PC on my LAN, I know that it should work.   I have setup port 80, 8000 and 21 to forward to 22 on the server, but none allow me to connect with Putty from work.  Those that remember, I had narrowed it down to port 80 being unblocked on outbound and POSSIBLY port 21.   I just want the ability to sftp a few small files to it, enable new functions and test the webserver in general.   The rules are set up in IPCop correctly.  I am about to resign myself to the fact that there is no way to do this unless there is some other package that I can put on the server to allow remote access via port 80 or 443 (https).
>
> Anybody know of something like webmin that comes by default to work on 443 and then allows you to ssh or ftp?   I feel really stupid.  The next step I will try is to put webmin on 443 instead of 10000 or whatever it is set by default, but I'm not confident.
>
> I probably need to leave my current port forwarding rules until LUG meeting night to see if I can get in remotely from another location.   This has been a testing nightmare for me.
>
> Brian Kelsay

Got gmail? I do hahaha