Which distro ... for low end hardware ?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Sep 27 10:22:44 CDT 2004

On Monday 27 September 2004 08:45 am, Jason Clinton wrote:

> > A day care center worker wants to buy cheap used hardware and have me or
> > someone else make it work .

> They need to use http://www.ltsp.org/

DISCLAIMER:  Jason works for a company that sells LTSP solutions to schools.

He also aparently missed the fact that this is a "Single user single desktop
maybe not even networked".  LTSP involves building a fairly sturdy server and
saving your money on multiple served workstations, noth the case here.

I've often wondered, given the cost of the server required, at what point you
actually start saving money with LTSP by reconditioning existing PC's instead
of buying new, low-end (sub $300) workstations and using a peer-to-peer
network.