Trouble with my new Compaq DL380

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Sat Sep 11 09:03:13 CDT 2004

Jon Moss wrote:

> Runlevel 3, yes, I would like to do that, but once it tries to load the
> graphical interface, I can't get to any other console - not even the
> system one.  And since the ethernet shuts down or disconnects also, I
> can't SSH in or anything.

You can play with the boot-loader settings and enter a different
runlevel at startup.  Press <tab> in lilo, or typically 'e' in grub and
you can edit the kernel command line.

Usually, you can add 'single' or 'emergency' to boot into single-user
recovery mode, or enter a number (ie: 3) to boot to a specific runlevel.

Once your system is booted, you can use init or telinit to switch to
different runlevels (ie: from single-user mode, run 'telinit 3' to get
to runlevel 3).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net