[OT] Clinton Assault Weapon Ban Ending - was -RE:gmailinitiations

James R. Sissel JamesSissel at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 10 20:34:31 CDT 2004

I must wade into this one finally.  This point isn't made often enough.  The
right to bear arms has absolutely nothing to do with hunting, sport, or
keeping the muggers at bay.  The framers of our Consititution understood
that everything, even the great ideas they were working on, can be
corrupted.  It makes no difference if they forsaw the automatic weapons we
have today or Star Trek phasers.  Nor do they care if we are using pea
shooters.  The right to bear ARMS, note not guns, is a basic right.  Here is
the exact wording of the Second Ammendment:

 A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The fathers of our country understood that the final authority of government
is the people.  And at times there might be the possiblity that the
government is working against the people.  If that should happen and the
people believe the only recourse is to overthrow the government then they
have the right to do so.  Therefore the right to bear arms is the ultimate
balance of power of the people against the government.

I believe that any gun control law, any registration, any infringement on my
right to bear arms is a threat to my freedom.

Saying that, I also believe that if a weapon of violence is used in a crime
the criminal should be put away for a *very* long time.