MyDoom wave wipes out RoadRunner

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Sep 9 19:02:56 CDT 2004

There was a big wave of MyDoom this morning, and RoadRunner mail servers
stopped responding to SMTP (POP still worked).  RoadRunner responded by
rebooting the servers, but the problem may have been with their routers,
or possibly with their DNS (or they may have problems with these services
as well).

We experienced the same symptom as RR on our Epic Alliance mail server -
but only when trying to reach it through RoadRunner - from other sites it
responded fine.

(Is this off topic?  I couldn't decide.  RoadRunner used to run Microsoft
mail servers. Epic runs some sort of Sun product; I run various servers
including Microsoft, RedHat, and Gentoo.)