ndiswrapper

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Oct 31 09:54:16 CST 2004

As I understand it, there is the potential for 802.11g cards to disrupt, or at
least use, frequencies that are used by the military.  Manufactureres have,
according to rumor, been pressured not to release information that would
allow users to select these frequencies.  Open Source software does not
provide any means for manufacturers to do this, and aparantly locking down
the available frequencies in the hardware is impractical.

This is just rumor - I have seen no confirmation that there has been any
pressure on the manufacturers, nor can I confirm that this potential is
anythnig more than an excuse to stick to a propietary model.

That said,
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11ag.html

Lists two 802.11g device driver projects, the Prism54 driver at
http://prism54.org/ and the Intell IPW2200 at
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/.

A little searching finds the prism-based Tekram TM-802G available from
pcbay.com at $22.98 shipped.

This article says that Intel is releasing Linux drivers for it's Centrino
platform:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39156340,00.htm

Here's an article from someone who picked up a prism based Netgear WG511 for
$35 a year ago - gotta be cheaper now:
http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/15-802.11g-Netgear-WG511-and-Linux.html

So it's just a matter of putting in the effort to find one that works, even if
you really want 11g speed for $25.