here is a paragraph from the microsoft 2004 annual report

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Oct 26 16:47:40 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 04:01 pm, Zscoundrel wrote:

> The part I love is when they say  "converting original ideas into
> software products".  They do not really do that.  They buy (or steal)
> software from other firms and then coerce them into signing contracts
> with non-disclosure clauses so they can CLAIM it is their own work. . .

Well, they did do a ground-up rewrite of the mosaic code for their second
release of Internet Explorer - something that would be a vast improvement if
Mosaic were to do the same, especially with modern considerations and
security.

There are still bugs in Mozilla that I recognise from very early releases of
Mosaic.