ITEC

Steven Hildreth sphildreth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 09:40:08 CDT 2004

Sorry I hit reply versus reply all, heres a second shot at it.

I was just thinking something to show people that Linux is not just a
'ugly hard to use console based operating system' real eye candy with
perhaps a family friendly (maybe something along the lines of Xmen2)
DVD playing, again showing some of the things the new 'modern' Linux
is capable of.  Kinda bring together the whole idea of the advocacy
thing - to promote the Linux OS, IMHO.

Applications that people would normally use on Windows and how thats
done in Linux+X+FOSS, like:
- K3B for burning CD's
- Firefox for web browsing
- Grip for making MP3 files
- XMMS for playing MP3 files
- Evolution for reading Email
- XINE for playing DVD's, Videos
- Perhaps both KDE and GNOME for 'windows' (window manager)

Sure we all most likely wont agree that this application is better
than that application, but (IMHO) we should show an application that
is easy for a 'normal' person to use with lots of graphical features
and initutive interface (all the applications I point out above at
least have that).

That honestly is my goal to help promote that Linux is not just for
geeks, and that it is gaining credibility among corporate arenas
thanks to the improvements in user interface design, solid application
development and open source mentality.

I think the wireless WAP is a must in any case, so we can at least get
our wifi capable notebooks up and running on the net. I will check
today if the facility provides wireless (or wired) access (I am
delivering the tables in about an hour) and report with any details on
that (or anything else I find interesting).

With the recent news of Cymor's accident, I know he was kinda the
co-ordinator of this, I think we need to put our heads together work
like a team and make this thing happen.

My thoughts,
Regards,
Steven (Tallen