It was bound to happen - suspected hack

Jon Moss jon.moss at cnonline.net
Fri Oct 22 06:30:52 CDT 2004

I checked my logs this morning and everything appears much better.  I also
solved my lastlog problem.

I made some modifications to ssh and su (wheel group access only).  I will
read up on iptables.

I agree that it was probably an automated attack probe looking for common
usernames and passwords.  While I have a couple of common user names, the
passwords are not (I love creating wierd passwords - just ask my peers who
groan out loud everytime I give them a new one!).

Thanks again,

Jon