It was bound to happen - suspected hack

Dustin Decker dustin.decker at 1on1security.com
Thu Oct 21 11:17:44 CDT 2004

Amen to that.  And if you wind up in court, it's pretty handy for an expert
witness to be able to point to the actual packets themselves.  I log, and
archive the entire data stream in/out of my network for this, and other
purposes.

My primary purpose is to be able to replay data for analysis.  This could be
to facilitate troubleshooting, but that's rare.  More often than not, I want
to "see what really happened" on the wire.  The second good reason for this
(Nimda/Code Red started me down this road) is the ability to replay the
network stream through an alternate Snort configuration, with new signatures
in place.  This way, when a zero-day monster occurs, I can go back as far as
I like to look for the attack once I have a good signature in place.

Dustin