alternate shell access

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Wed Oct 20 22:41:51 CDT 2004

Dave Hull wrote:

> Quoting Brian Kelsay <Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov>:
>

>>http://gray-world.net
>>
>>Gerald Combs and I were discussing alternate methods of using ssh over odd
>>ports.  Some of the things at the above link apply.  Tunneling ssh over
>>http/https were the main points of discussion.
>

> There are radios that can encrypt their traffic and send it over multiple
> frequencies/channels (whatever the proper terminology is) in synch. Isn't this
> called "spread-spectrum?" If you could synchronize your server and client on
> the same random seed or something at the start of the conversation, perhaps
> they could pseudo-randomly, but in synch with one another, switch ports during
> the conversation. You've still got encryption as an added layer.
>
> Make it so. Spread-Spectrum-Secure-Shell. SSSSH.
>
>Using steganography? There are issues. How about port 443 for https?

Hopping wouldn't help.  I think they were looking for odd traffic, maybe
just more than is normal, over ports other than 80 that were open.  443
got too much traffic and it tripped something.  Went over some imaginary
kb limit.  That is why we were talking about tunneling ssh over http.
I'm not going to do it from there, but I will set something up to try it
out from the library or something.
http://gray-world.net/projects/wsh/