BitTorrent + INDUCE Act + Linspire 5.0

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 17 21:13:24 CDT 2004

Monty J. Harder wrote:
> "Leo Mauler" <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Uh oh, looks like we're going to have to start quoting
>>"Sissel's Law".  :)
>>
>>Seriously, I don't think anyone will let us forget
>>Hitler.  No matter how watered down the memory gets,
>>everyone will remember him, at least, as a Really Bad
>>Man Who Did Bad Things To People.

And thus Hitler  became an archetype sometimes claimed
as so needful to make points in arguments we'd have to have
  invented him were he not real .

>   Here's Monster's Commentary on Mauler's Corollary to Sissel's Law:
>
> Hitler will always be remembered as the person to whom some people compare
> others, in order to make them seem bad.  Unfortunately, by doing so, they
> usually end up making their intended target look pretty darned benign by
> comparison.  Godwin's Law comes into play when people (including myself)
> make 'slippery slope' arguments:

My humble take is that Godwin's Law was a social patch for mail /news
readers
lacking a thread kill feature .

>     A:    The people have voted, and their will should be respected;
> <insert populist target here> must be ended now!
>     B:    The majority of Athenian citizens voted to condemn Socrates for
> his dangerous ideas.  The majority thought the earth was flat, until
> Columbus and Magellan proved them wrong.  The majority of the settlers that
> came to some of the colonies as a result, thought that slavery was OK, and
> when that was repealed, they supported Jim Crow after that. (Just to bring
> it on topic, a majority of desktop computer users run Windows, and
> apparently equate file sharing to terrorism.)  And, by the way, Hitler was
> elected.  I believe that certain things are wrong no matter how large the
> number of people willing to do them, and that no majority is large enough to
> validate them.
>     A:    You mentioned Hitler, so the thread's over and I win!
>     B:    No, because I don't believe in Godwin.
>     A:    Well, yo mama dresses you funny!

Yo mama ? wasn't he a violin player ?

Oren

www.campdownunder.com