OT: ogg file blind, listening test

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Oct 15 10:32:49 CDT 2004

So Leo, what is the file size difference?  I go with 128K, because, for my ears, it's good enough.  And the songs take about 3-4MB each.  I have about 40GB of music.  Over 200 CDs worth.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Leo Mauler <> 10/14/04 09:25PM >>>
I got curious about this one and decided to do an
experiment.

I ripped an Audio CD I have, and converted the same
ripped uncompressed track into both a 256K MP3 and a
192K OGG.

I'm listening to both of them on shuffle, and I
honestly can't tell the difference between the two.
In fact, I'd have to look at the Totem player just to
tell which type of music file, OGG or MP3, that I'm
listening to at the moment.

So I think its pretty safe to save space by converting
your 256K MP3 files into 192K OGG files.