Unsure of log report entry

Dustin Decker dustin.decker at 1on1security.com
Tue Oct 12 10:27:59 CDT 2004

What it indicates is that 65.70.45.21 tried eight times to make use of
source routing.  The short answer on source routing is that it's a feature
of TCP/IP whereby you can direct the path a packet will follow.  This could
allow an attacker to cause traffic to pass through a host they have control
of, to view its contents, etc.  You can read up on this more in TCP/IP
Illustrated, Volume I by the late W. Richard Stevens - aka The TCP/IP Bible.

Here's an interesting bit - do a whois on the host in question:
65.70.45.21

This turns out to be an SBC customer, most likely DSL.  This is registered
to a client named Gould Family Practice.  I see from your signature below
you're in medicine - is this where you work, or a competitor?

The good news is, the source routing attempt failed.  This doesn't indicate
you have been hacked, but this type of traffic certainly isn't normal.
Someone is rattling the fence.
Dustin