BitTorrent + INDUCE Act + Linspire 5.0

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Oct 11 11:43:45 CDT 2004

You have to take my statement in context. I was not saying that one cannot
copy a tape that is being played in a tape player. That was not the supposition
of the previous post. The previous post was implying a station wagon load of
tapes was P2P. To which I stated that without a teleportation device it could
not be downloaded from any place in the world and even if you could teleport
the tape only one person at a time could teleport it. Unless of course the
teleportation device also was capable of replication. In which case my argument
falls apart.

Simply put, a carload of tapes is not equivalent to a HD full of music.

And although I agree that there are non-infringing uses of P2P and thus should
not be outlawed, there is a need for a solution to try to prevent illegal copying
on the scale that is possible with P2P. Simply put, copyright owners are entitled
to have some control over their works. Whether that be the authors or the
mega-corporations that have extorted those rights from the original authors.

There is a big difference between making a few copies of a song for friends over
one's lifetime and making thousands or millions of copies available to strangers.
As far as I'm concerned, anyone posting copyrighted works, which do not belong to
them or without the explicit permission to do so, to p2p networks is guilty of piracy.
Justify it anyway you want.

$0.02,
Brian