How to Trackdown a Hardware Failure with Knoppix?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Mon Oct 11 11:18:18 CDT 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> On Monday 11 October 2004 06:56 am, lowell at kc.rr.com wrote:
>

>>I have heard that moving them to a new <pci?> slot helps;won't do much good
>>with an agp video card, tho'...
>

> It can help in some cases, but physically there's no difference.  If you've
> changed cards, sometimes it's necessary to clear the BIOS information for the
> old card, and sometimes this is easier if you move cards around, but there
> are better ways to handle that.

Clear the BIOS information?  Not really an accurate statement.  It's not
like there is a button to push and this happens.  Most motherboards will
scan for the video card on each boot.  On the rare occurance that it
doesn't, you just enter the config screen of the BIOS (f1 or other
combo) and the card will get scanned.  Save and exit.  Really the BIOS
only looks to see that there is a card, not what kind or its parameters.
  At most only its location.