Bittorrent

Sansavarous sansavarous at sansavarous.redirectme.net
Thu Oct 7 22:27:51 CDT 2004

The main advantage that I've found with BitTorrent is that it allows me to
stop a download and restart it at any time. This can also be done with some
FTP sites, not all.

BitTorrent is not meant to be a replacement for any existing protocols, simply
a way to distribute files in a dependable way.

As long as there are people who "seed" the torrent the torrent will be
available. You can even pull down the file from other people who are
downloading. What it does is to break up the file into chunks and then share
out those chunks. You can download the parts from anybody who has pieces you
don't have. The key is to have as many people "seeding" as possable. Most
torrents will reach a critical mass about one to two weeks after the initial
seeding, then the quality declines from there. That's why you'll see many
torrents reseeded.

As far as usability, error reporting, or stability that's not so much to
protocol as it is the applications. I run Azureus on Gentoo and it suits my
needs. I've not had any problems with it. Azureus is a resource hog, being
Java.

IMHO BitTorrent has it's place, just as P2P sharing has it's place, like HTTP
and FTP. The right tool for the right job.

--
Don't drink when you drive -- you might hit a bump and spill it.