Bittorrent

Richard A. Franklin RAldenFranklin at everestkc.net
Thu Oct 7 18:33:54 CDT 2004

Brian Kelsay wrote:

>With Bittorrent and its brother BitTornado, getting a file becomes as easy as double clicking on it and choosing where to save.  That is pretty easy if you ask me.  Now for those with a firewall, there are simple instructions on the BitTornado site.  You do need to know how to login to and alter your firewall.  I opened a range of ports quite easily on IPCop, which I then disable after I finish getting the torrent and serving for a while.

Okay, I continue to glean useful hints, and actual instruction, by
opening kclug mail ... and curiosity overcomes total laziness. Besides,
I just bothers me to use Windows to latch onto a Linux distro ISO
torrent to feed to my finicky laptop.

After reinstalling Azureus (azureus-2.1.0.4-0.gbv.3.i586.rpm ... using
SUSE 9.1 PRO), I received "NAT Error" when testing my setup with the
config wizard ... after checking a couple of router "how to" sites, it
seemed that I perhaps needed to adjust my router settings. Like, maybe
enable UPnP? I still did not know for sure, so I toyed with it a bit.

Enabling UPnP had no effect; however, all is well after disabling the
SUSE firewall (DUH?) ... Azureus opens little info windows, indicating
which ports are being opened, and for what purposes, and it just works,
regardless of whether I have checked, or unchecked the UPnP box in my
router setup.

... SO, do I "need" the SUSE firewall on the desktop when I am using a
Linksys BEFSR41 router??? Is there a reasonable, rational and sane
option between "on" and "off"?

And yes, for the little I actually download, ftp could be just fine; but
sometimes these things are just too fun to ignore, and I am sure that
many of us home / home-office users flip a few bucks to developers from
time to time, just to say thanks for NOT being Microsoft ... which still
has not paid me my part of the 1.1 billion dollar CA class-action
settlement ... I think it was around $17.00 in the form of some kinda
mickey mouse voucher. Oops ... rant.