BitTorrent question

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Wed Oct 6 10:56:44 CDT 2004

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:50:47 -0500
Gerald Combs <gerald at ethereal.com> wrote:

> Why isn't BitTorrent (or any other P2P software for that matter) used
> as an official, sanctioned, software distribution channel along with
> HTTP and FTP?   Specifically, why aren't places like SourceForge,
> kernel.org, Gentoo, Mozilla, and OpenOffice using it?

  Maybe I'm a weirdo, but if HTTP and FTP work and the projects can
  afford the bandwidth why would they? Just another service they would
  have to maintain.

  The main reason someone uses BitTorrent is to avoid having to pay for
  all of the bandwidth costs associated with large projects.  There is
  no other real reason to switch, other than being new/different/cool
  which IMHO is a horrible reason.

  Out of curiosity why would you want them to support BitTorrent?