Bittorrent

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Tue Oct 5 11:27:15 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 10:21, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> So the problem is that if you have a project that has "discovered" bittorrent,
> but has yet to discover all the potential problems it has, you end up with a
> project that's inaccessible to a large portion of it's potential audience.
> The standard OSS community response is to blame the users, and belittle their
> skills and knowledge because they can't get bittorrent to run.

BitTorrent has and always will be a method to handle high load for a lot
of interest in something over a short period of time. I know of no
projects that exclusively use BitTorrent to distribute software. If
there is someone doing that, however, it's not a very good idea and they
should probably reconsider.

The documentation for BitTorrent clearly states that you must poke a
hole in your firewall in order to get the best performance from
BitTorrent; any bad experience you've had after doing that should be
directed to the author.