Which distro can anyone recommend for low end hardware ?

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 16:10:15 CDT 2004

Rob Becker wrote:
> This doesn't answer your question regarding a specific distro, but
> whatever distro you use, carefully audit all services that run at start.
> With a machine that is not connected to a network, many of your network
> services can be disabled.  Also look at running a light desktop manager
> like ICEWM.  If there is any budget at all for adding RAM and or a newer
> HD, it may be well worth your time to do so.  A P2/200 will be
> sufficient for the duties you suggest, but a faster HD and more RAM will
> make things much speedier.
> Good luck with it.
> Rob

Good advice and it will be followed . I have always wondered about the
amount of cruft loaded into start routines that plainly should have been
defaulted elsewhere or never there at all .

Regarding "Light" desktops - the issue to my limited observation is
lighter footprint seemingly must equal less intuitive. I mean that as
both to legacy interface users and " Zero experience" users too .
Listing the exact quirks may be a future project but for now I need the
design mentality to be bug resistance and newbie tolerance over eye
candy or blazing speed .  Installing a canned distro then tweaking it
along your suggestions  may be the way this goes - Thanks for the help
and sorry for the delay in replying .

Oren

www.campdownunder.com

"  Today's X-prize flight should overshadow Sputnik as a step in
humanity truly becoming a space faring race "