Multiple desktop clients per kdm server

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Tue Nov 30 14:54:53 CST 2004

So, for clarity sake, the :0 is the first Xserver instance and it is being attached to the 7th virtual terminal (vt7).  The :1 is the 2nd Xserver and it is attached to the 8th virtual terminal.
Or is it tty1 and 2 respectively?  I'm curious if he would be able to hit Alt-f8 and view the 2nd xserver session or would it be Alt-f2?  If I am incorrect then please correct my logic.  Would he actually be able to view the xserver session or only get the msg logs that went to the terminal before the xserver launched?

Just some idle thoughts.

Brian Kelsay

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 11:13:02AM -0600, Brian Densmore wrote:
> I'm running kdm and would like to know if anyone is
> running more than one desktop simultaneously?

Check the /etc/kdm/kde3/kdm/Xservers file.  I have a line that says:

:0 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7

My guess is that you would add a line just below it that says:

:1 local at tty2 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt8

Additionally, if you're not too concerned about physical security, you
can put a section on the /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc line that will autologin
your user on vt7 and your wife's user on vt8.  I don't use kdm, so I
don't know exactly how that would look, but the top of the kdmrc file
looks like it is possible.