modifying kernel

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Nov 15 08:55:02 CST 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 08:33 am, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> I would have a problem like this with my funky wireless card. If you try to
> load the compiled module and the kernel version compiled against is
> different from the current running kernel, it doesn't work.

Actually, it all depends on whether anything that the module depends on
changed between the different kernels.  I know this because the last two
kernel updates on my laptop have _not_ broken my ACX100 driver.

Which is a good thing, as the kernel source will no longer fit on the laptop's
hard drive, so when the kernel does make a significant change I'm hosed.