RoadRunner with Phone

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Mon May 31 07:32:13 CDT 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:29:31 -0500 Leo J Mauler <webgiant at juno.com>
writes:

> On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:47:39 -0700 (PDT) Robert Kennedy
> <erwin_k_r at yahoo.com> writes:
> > Hi All,

[snip!]

> > Off list, or on, can I please have some pros and/or
> > cons about switching from ol' basic Southwestern Bell
> > land line service.

[snip!]

> If nothing else, retain a single landline phone line into your
> home, stripped of all extra features and suchlike.  You can
> even reduce your bill another $1.50 a month by turning off
> "touch tone" service and dialing out using pulses (this is true,
> my non-technical parents did this), flipping the
> "touchtone/pulse" switch to use touchtone services once
> you've pulse-dialed out.  When your cable phone goes out
> and the local wireless tower falls over, you'll still be able to
> "reach out and annoy someone" until your services get fixed.

And the other nice thing about having a landline available is that you
can dial-out to your backup ISP while you're waiting for your broadband
ISP provider to get services back up and running.  56k after broadband
may seem like switching to a bicycle from a Ferrari, but a bicycle is
still better transportation than walking (i.e., "sneakernet").

Side note: I remember claiming back in 1990 that I had 50k/second data
transfer rates on one of my "data transfer solutions."  I won a $5 bet on
this when I opened the trunk and pointed out the 150MB hard drive full of
enough data that driving the fifteen minutes across town qualified as
"50k/second data transfer rates".  :)