UPS - Gentoo Linux

Kendrick-LUG kulua at linux2themax.com
Fri May 28 20:36:45 CDT 2004

Leonard, Phil wrote:

>>I looking for recommendations on a UPS unit for my Gentoo Linux file
>>server. The UPS unit will only need to provide enough battery time to
>>safely shutdown the server when the building loses power. I believe that
>>APC brand units are supported pretty well, but I am not sure. Please let
>>me know if any of you know of a particular brand and model that you
>>would recommend.
>>

>I use APC units and apcupsd exclusively. http://www.apcupsd.com/

cyberpower works pretty well as well..  more expensive now.   I also
like nut for ups stuff they have some support for apc  and support allot
of others.

apc is not to bad you will have to do most of the maintanence work your
self though..  ie replacing batterys and such you will have to use the
on line replacement tool  resellers arent getting good deals and or are
having problems with getting decent priced replacements.    apc builds a
pretty solid product but the company can be a bit to deal with.   more
and more businesses are  going away from apc though.  for small to
midrange use.  dunno about the matrix and bigger ups's range.  as
always  ymmv.

if you are interested in the apc stuf i can see if i have some of my
brochures here from when i was a apc reliability reseller.