pppd routing problem

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Fri May 21 03:27:00 CDT 2004

At least I think it's a routing problem...

I had to switch from cable modem to dial-up recently (moved to a rural
area). And so I'm trying to get a connection using PPP (on Slackware). I
have pppd running and can connect to my ISP. ifconfig gives me my ppp0 up
and running fine. IPs are assigned dynamically by my ISP.

My problem is that the default gateway stays static as eth0 and not ppp0.

Here are my options to the ppp daemon:

[start]
# General configuration options for PPPD:
lock
defaultroute
noipdefault
modem
/dev/modem
57600
crtscts
# Uncomment the line below for more verbose error reporting:
#debug
# If you have a default route already, pppd may require the other side
# to authenticate itself, which most ISPs will not do.  To work around this,
# uncomment the line below.  Note that this may have negative side effects
# on system security if you allow PPP dialins.  See the docs in
/usr/doc/ppp*
# for more information.
noauth
passive
asyncmap 0
[end]

>From my understanding of pppd, "defaultroute" should make my ppp connections
the default gateway to send packets to. But, it doesn't. When I do a
route -n to see the table, ppp0 only appears once (my assigned IP address).

Does anyone have any ideas of what I'm missing here?

Thanks.
-Greg

[Do please excuse the lack or word wrap. I have to boot into Windows to use
my e-mail...]