.tar.gz in Knoppix

Richard A. Franklin raldenfranklin at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 21 01:45:29 CDT 2004

Brian Kelsay wrote:

> Normally I might say you should use apt-pinning to stick QT at version
> 3.0, BUT you have KDE 3.2.2 with Knoppix 3.4 and it requires the QT
> version you have.
> Did you try to apt-get install the knights program?  you could also
> try an apt-cache search knights to see if it is avail able for your
> build.

Thanks Brian.

Tried that first ... there was no apt available knights package, so I
proceded to the .tar.gz file.

> You may have to get the sources from wherever you downloaded the
> program and compile it on your PC with an option to make to use the QT
> libs you have.  Then again, you may be able to find a .deb repository
> that you can add to your "/etc/apt/sources.list"  that you can apt-get
> it from.  Lots to think about.  I always go here
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages  to see if an
> official package is avail.

Useful page! Had not seen that. As you say, lots to think about.

> You may have to compile the latest version from CVS, instructions
> here: http://knights.sourceforge.net/faq.php#faq7
> regular compile instructions:
> http://knights.sourceforge.net/docs/installation-compilation.html

Tried the CVS instructions, which led to the same error message.

The last link you included gives this instruction:

"add the KDEDIR environment variable, you need to edit your /etc/profile
( or ~/.bash_profile ) and add the line:

export KDEDIR="/usr"

...where /usr is your KDE's base directory.

Now, change the present working directory to the location where you
unarchived Knights and type the following:

% ./configure
% make
% make install"

This sounds easy enough, but I have no experience with editing (I am a
candidate for Jason's Communiversity class).

Any advice on a newbie-friendly tutorial on the subject?

Rick