"Ghost" IBM Thinkpad drive

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Mon May 17 16:14:54 CDT 2004

Rob Becker wrote:

> Read up on dd.  That is included in Knoppix and combining dd with ssh
> and rsync gets you a pretty powerful remote backup utility.  It has been
> a while since I've done this, but I have successfully migrated a laptop
> from one hard drive to another by dding an image of the drive and then
> rsynching it over to another drive via the network.  I was then able to
> restore the data to the new drive by reversing the process.
> If you have questions about the process, I can find some resources and
> bounce them your direction.

I'm familiar with dd and rsync, but I don't have enough space to make a
temporary image that I can rsync.

The machine in question is a laptop with a single 10G drive.  What I'm
really missing is a way to move the data across the network (I'm having
problems mounting nfs with Knoppix, but ssh and other net applications
seem to work fine).

...or can I rsync directly from a device, ie:

rsync -e ssh /dev/hda user at remote.system:/wherever

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net