Ghosting Disk to Disk problems.

jonathan dj_goku at boobie.no-ip.com
Sat May 15 05:25:06 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 13:06, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> Have you done this before on this PC?  Let me get this straight.  You are ghosting an image of D:
to be saved to C:?  Did you have enough room on C: to save all this?  How big is the disk?  If the
image saved correctly, you should be able to slave that drive in another PC and copy the ghost
image off.   I usually use a ghost boot floppy or boot CD to do this kind of thing.  In fact, I
have Bart's PE set up for this.  It requires a valid Ghost license though.  It was pretty easy to
get it set up on Bart's.  I also added Nero so I could write to a CDR or RW.

> Since you mentioned Disk Spanning.  I only see this when a CD runs out of room and you have to
add another CD.  There is also a setting in ghost to break up the image into CD sized chunks so you
can put it on CD later.  The parts are normally named automatically imagename.gho, imagename.002,
imagename.003.  At least that is what I recall without looking.  I currently use Power Quest Image
Center at work.  My guess is you ran out of room on disk1 and when it asked for the name of part 2,
it also needed a new location w/ more space.  Likely what happened is it started writing  image.001
over the stuff on your drive1.  Whoops.   Contact me via email at home later or IRC if I'm in there
and I might have a tool at home that can recover.  No guarantees.

> I don't know of any FREE windows recovery tools, if you mean recover deleted data.  Bart's is a
good Windows rescue CD though.  You might try the Linux systemrescuecd.org.  They have a 25MB iso
that may help you without actually building Bart's.

> Brian Kelsay

No this was the first time to ghost this pc. Yes an image from D: to C:,
there was about 57GB of space free if I remember right. C: 180GB D: 80GB
w/8GB of data. I usually use a ghost boot floopy also, but what they did
was just put the file on the hard drive and booted ghost that way.
Spanning with ghost, I have never used it or had to use it. I think what
happened was that when I first tried to ghost some ghost image tried to
right over another image and didn't do it correctly. I have used ghost
to create images before, just when it ask to span I didn't know what to
do. So I had someone show me how to do it today. This what I did that
messed up the drive some how. When ask to span on test_12345.gho I named
it to test_12345.ghs to keep name the same for each image. The first
time I forgot that it truncated it to test_123. Because in dos 8.3
(xxxxxxx.gho). Well then so I tried to reghost the image to test_123, to
get the name how I wanted it, seemed to work, so I did image check and
it failed. So I tried it again same name (test_123) thinking it would
over ride the image, I guess not so how something went wrong and corrupt
something, because booting C: as slave to NT/XP computers showed the
drive to be raw (like new from factory? right.) and need to be formated.

So I know how to ghost w/spanning of images. And the images were not
mission critical. Feel kinda dumb since I do know how to ghost just
never had that situation before. =
Thanks,

Jonathan