Ebay and Other Sites Encryption

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon May 10 17:06:56 CDT 2004

On Monday, May 10, 2004 11:43 am, jonathan wrote:

> I was just wondering why you guys think or know why ebay and others
> offer ssl, but it is not default when login on processes. Does it use
> too much more bandwidth, cpu, memory, or does it? Just kinda weird I
> would thing you would want ssl or other encryption like that to be
> default.

I think that the answer is the KISS principle.  There's no reason for most of
the traffic to be secure or encrypted, so it's not.  Very little of ebay's
traffic requires any security, and they keep it that way on purpose, pushing
the secure processing off to PayPal (their evil twin).

I think the main issue with ssl is that people on the receiving end might not
have it set up right and might not be able to use it.