mbox file too large, mailer is clunky

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Tue May 4 12:17:10 CDT 2004

--=-RL6UgwcXGPl+2NfwtLQ1

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 11:54, darkweb4 wrote:
> Right now I am using Mozilla 1.5 on a windows machine for my
> email and newsgroup mailer.  I like to save all of my email,
> and now I have several months of email built up in a 30-40
> MB mbox file.  Everytime I access this file, it takes almost
> a minute for Mozilla to display my mail.  Is there a leaner
> mailer to use, one that could access this file faster?=20

The only way to reliably fix this problem that I'm aware of would be to
install an IMAP server (Cyrus or Courier-IMAP) and then use Mozilla's
message copy/move function to copy all those messages over to the IMAP
server. IMAP servers specialize in indexing and retreiving messages at
fast speeds and the client only needs request what it needs to display
what you're looking at. Cyrus is a /pain/ to install but its very fast
once it is installed.

--=-RL6UgwcXGPl+2NfwtLQ1

--=-RL6UgwcXGPl+2NfwtLQ1--