Linux on USB

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Sat May 1 21:53:36 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 14:03, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> Has anybody gotten Linux to boot from a USB memory stick on a laptop or PC?

Yes.

I was able to get a Lexar JumpDrive Secure 128 MB (USB 1.1) drive to
boot off of.  It requires a BIOS that can boot off of a USB-Floppy or
USB-CD.  Check your BIOS boot settings.  Additionally, I couldn't use a
USB 2.0 drive.  Don't know why exactly.  I followed the directions at:

http://d-i.pascal.at/

They are specific to installing the Debian installer (the
next-generation one currently in beta) and it worked like a charm.  You
can probably use the same concept with a root filesystem, a kernel
image, and syslinux.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>