Streaming Audio Puzzle

Gerald Combs gerald at zing.org
Wed Mar 31 21:05:58 CST 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> There are two radio station web sites that both offer Windows Media audio
> streams.  One, KCUR, works fine in my current Konqueror configuration.  The
> other, KTBG, won't connect.  They both use Active Server scripts to launch
> the stream.  KTBG's may not have the correct DTD, but it points to
> http://153.91.42.26:8085; KCUR's ASP script points to
> http://kcurserver2.kc.umkc.edu:8081/publishingpoint2
>
> How do I figure out what the servers are sending?

The first server doesn't appear to send anything:

rufus:/home/gerald> telnet 153.91.42.26 8085
Trying 153.91.42.26...
Connected to 153.91.42.26.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

   [ After waiting about 15 seconds I gave up ]

The UMKC URL returns the following:

rufus:/home/gerald> telnet kcurserver2.kc.umkc.edu 8081
Trying 134.193.176.212...
Connected to kcurserver2.kc.umkc.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Pragma: no-cache, xResetStrm=1
Supported: com.microsoft.wm.srvppair, com.microsoft.wm.sswitch,
com.microsoft.wm.predstrm, com.microsoft.wm.fastcache

[Reference]
Ref1=http://KCURSERVER2.kc.umkc.edu:8081/?MSWMExt=.asf
Ref2=http://134.193.176.212:8081/?MSWMExt=.asf
Connection closed by foreign host.

In each case I telnetted to the appropriate port and typed "GET /
HTTP/1.0" followed by two carriage returns.  This is the abbreviated
version of what a web browser does.