News from the front

Don Erickson derick at zeni.net
Fri Mar 26 22:04:36 CST 2004

Brian Kelsay wrote:
> I don't recall exactly what came out first.  Knoppix definitely came after DemoLinux, which was
slow as hell.  But I don't recall when Suse came out w/ their Live CD.  Some Suse user know the
history?

You could run slackware live off of a CD in 1995, iirc.  But, yeah, on a
i486 it was slow as hell, too.  Everything was, but it screamed compared
to Windoze.

I remember the all night kernel compiles... "make vmlinuz" and see if it
puked out in the morning.  Kernel sources were 1 megabyte!  Huge!

Regards,

-Don "geezer"