KNOPPIX/Morphix crash after autodetection?

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Mar 26 19:40:40 CST 2004

Are you using any cheatcodes?  Hit f2 when you get the "boot:" prompt.  you can try "failsafe" to
get no autodetection, "knoppix 2" to go straight to a command line, "knoppix vesa" with the
optional "screen=" with your resolution after that.  I believe that the nVidia driver is not
included on the Knoppix disk due to Klaus' feelings on the licensing.  There should be a link to
download and install the nVidia driver on the Knoppix disk menu found on the taskbar next to the K
menu.  Stuff I have read says you may have to play around w/ the boot prompt if using the nVidia
cards.

I had a problem last night.  After the boot prompt, no matter what options I chose I would just get
a blank screen.  Finally I used failsafe and I got an error msg that the compressed file was an
invalid format.  I swapped the CD drive for another and it worked w/out boot options.  I wanted to
test that drive anyway.  I have a stack of questionable drives that need to be labeled.  Biggest
problem, is ones that read, but won't boot to ANY bootable CD.  That's the Mitsumi problem I have
mentioned before.  Found out last night that at least one 36X Aopen drive does this too.

Anyway, I'm trying to install some form of Linux on a laptop drive, while in a PC for a laptop
w/out a CD.  Not sure how I'll work this since I'll lose the autodetection.  Seems like there is a
new option to do the autodetect or I can just run kudzo or something.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Leo J Mauler <webgiant at juno.com> 03/26/04 01:04PM >>>
I have a Duron 850Mhz system with 180MB RAM, Hawking 10/100 NIC, nVidia
Geforce-2 64MB video card, and AverTV StereoTV Card (bt878).

Regardless of which Morphix or KNOPPIX Live CD I try, it crashes
immediately after the Autoconfiguring devices point in the boot process.

Any ideas?