KNOPPIX/Morphix crash after autodetection?

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Mar 26 19:07:45 CST 2004

I have a Duron 850Mhz system with 180MB RAM, Hawking 10/100 NIC, nVidia
Geforce-2 64MB video card, and AverTV StereoTV Card (bt878).

Regardless of which Morphix or KNOPPIX Live CD I try, it crashes
immediately after the Autoconfiguring devices point in the boot process.

Any ideas?

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Okay, it looks like the favored distro other than Debian and SuSE (and
Slackware from one vocal supporter :), is Gentoo.

Does Gentoo do any hardware autodetection, or will I still be stuck
picking from lists, and guessing at settings, and hoping I got the right
driver?