Third Choice of Linux Distro?

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Mar 26 15:06:51 CST 2004

Well, Astaro was meant for something other than the home user IIRC.  I would only recommend it for
a business to be used on a higher-end PC than you or I might use as a firewall.  It also auto
updates and I think it examines packets in more ways than IPCop.  It is probably overkill for your
home system.
Look here for more info:
http://www.astaro.com/php/presse.php?action=details&id=50&lang=gb

It is easier to understand your posts with some punctuation.  What about IPCop didn't work?  How
long since you used it?  I have to admit, that I have not used all of it's features, but I wouldn't
hesitate to recommend it for a home firewall if someone wanted more control than a Linksys
firewall/router can offer.  Freesco served me well for about a year and a half, until I wanted more
functionality and an easier to use system.  IPCop is more like your average Linux at command line.

Brian Kelsay

Brian Kelsay wrote:

>I would assume this is due to the limitation/requirements of the RedHat 7.3 installer, since IPCop
is RH 7.3 underneath.  Remember a while back, Leo Mauler had trouble installing RH on a low memory
machine.  I have IPCop running on a P-166 w/ 64MB and a 1-2GB HDD.  I think only 24MB is used.
This is due to additional ramdisks created when Ram is available.  Once install is complete the CD
can be removed and the floppy drive is used for backup of user config.  Admin is done through a
browser on another PC on the local net.
>http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/IPCop/IPCopQuickStart
>
>Brian Kelsay

actualy you didnt understand what i was saying.   ipcop, i just didnt
like how it worked.  some of the features wouldent work as expected
etc.  I ran it as my firewall for about 3 months and couldent stand it.
it will install on a machine w 24mb ram thats what mine had.   astro how
ever was the one i mentioned as having need of 64mb ram

heres for the current version

Hardware Requirements

*·* 	400 MHZ CPU, 128 MB RAM
*·* 	8 GB IDE or SCSI HDD
*·* 	Bootable CD-ROM Drive
*·* 	PCI Ethernet Networkcards (up to 20)

Throughput with a 1266 MHZ CPU
*·* 	730 MBit/s Packet Filter
*·* 	115 MBit/s IPSec VPN
*·* 	6,000 email/hour (10KB e-mails) with Virus Protection