Third Choice of Linux Distro?

Richard Franklin RAldenFranklin at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 25 00:11:51 CST 2004

For my laptop ... Mandrake 10.0 on a PIII . Too easy for (some of) you
Linux jocks. Using the freebie release just prior to the Community
Edition ... may have to donate to the cause and get the whole package,
rather than to cough up for the SUSE 9.1 upgrade, as SUSE has been a
soundless disappointment on the laptop. Maybe that is resolved in the
2.6 kernel ... don't care; I like Mandrake.

Desktop ... Slackware has been quite stable, though after I screwed up a
kernel update by reading the instructions (which is to say, I needed to
read a bit more), I tried Debian. Fun stuff ... after running apt-get
update and apt-get upgrade a couple of days ago, it is quite usable ...
just the printer configuration left to tackle.

For pure bizarreness: http://www.evilentity.com/ ...  don't go to the
screen shots if easily offended by evil distros. No, I have not (will
not) try it, but it was a minor laugh.

Rick