Apache Config Question

Jon M. Moss jon.moss at cnonline.net
Tue Mar 23 12:57:56 CST 2004

I'm trying to configure Apache to use home directories (so my son can
start creating his one web site and quit bugging me!) :)

I've modified the httpd.conf file as follows:

UserDir disabled
UserDir enabled <user1> <user2> <user3>
UserDir public_html

I created a public_html directory in my home directory and did chmod as
follows:

cd /home
chmod a+x <myuserid>
cd
chmod a+x public_html

and I applied chmod a+r to the index.html file in that folder.

However, I can't get to my "web" page either internal (192.168.0.25) or
from the Internet (through port forwarding on my router).

Have I missed something?  Do I need to give the apache user/group specific
rights to this folder and it's files?

Thanks!

Jon Moss
jon at mossfam.net